Friday, October 1, 2010

Big Grin



Finding peace in life is not always easy, even for two people who don't work and decide to travel through Southeast Asia.  We are nearing the end of our time here in the Philippines and it feels a bit surreal to be leaving.  I (Tad) feel like a month is just enough time to be a traveler but it's not nearly enough to invest in community or the relationships you make along the way.  This wouldn't be too bad if you were travelling and then returning home.  It's entirely different when you are just finishing the first month out of a year. This is just one of many shifts to come within the expectations for our time, and I guess I was expecting those shifts.    

Time slows down over here and there's a lot of time for reflection.  I am beginning to see that this year will bring a lot of self awareness and I'm excited for the ways that I will be challenged.  I think that I need to release my expectations to find some long-term life purpose.  I want to open my eyes to each moment where I can choose to be a better husband and a better friend, to encounter life fully and love those around me.  I think that my head gets caught up in the idea that this year needs to bring some life changing moment which feels like a trap for being disappointed.  

The beautiful reminders which bring peace come from the small moments, the people we meet and the blessings and challenges that we encounter.  This boat captain is a perfect example, he brought us back to town on a wet and cloudy day.  As the rain started to come down he wrapped his head with an old coat and continued to smile.  His smile was filled with so much vibrancy and joy, we thought that we would share it with you!

5 comments:

  1. what a beautiful picture! I love you Tad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty great! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, Tad! Thanks for sharing and for letting all of us be part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you both and reading your thoughts and reflections. YOur photos reveal the most marvelous Creator in His glorious creation. absolutely breath taking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an honest and real reflection. I pray you enjoy the journey with lots of big grins! Awesome photo!

    ReplyDelete